Monday, February 22, 2010

802.1x and Remote Desktop in Windows XP

Well apparently there are known issues with Remote Desktop and 802.1x wireless security. I kept wondering why on earth every time I connect to my machine here at work via RDP my wireless dropped off. Wasn't a huge issue because I was hardwired in anyway but I started doing some looking (googling) and found this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/dd727529.aspx

FTA:

Q. Do Remote Desktop connections work to Windows wireless clients that use 802.1X authentication?

A. Not at this time. All 802.1X-based wireless connections are affected, including those using EAP-TLS or PEAP-MS-CHAP v2. Connections using a static WEP key or WPA-PSK are not affected. Microsoft has addressed this issue in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008.

Well, apparently it's not going to be fixed and you need to update to Windows 7/Server 2008. Not that I'm complaining, I really am liking Windows 7!

No comments: